Monday, October 20, 2008

We Stayed Too Long Volume 1

There are a million stories in the naked city (actually, in Billings, that's wrong; only about 80,000). October 9th began like any other day, except that the weather guys were forecasting TWO FEET OF SNOW over the next three days. We (and just about everybody else here, it seems) kinda thought that was a little extreme; the proverbial tempest in a teapot, if you will. The temps had been comfortably in the sixties the last few days, and Madam Indian Summer had us comfortably cradled in her kindnesses and largesse...

KAPOW!! CRONK!! ZOWIE!! GADZOOKS!!! Campy Batman exclamations all, I realize, but SHAZAM!!

These are from the first day, and keep going, it gets more interesting:













Then the NEXT day:













...and I don't even HAVE any from Day Three, because I just got sick of having ice in my shoes. I don't often regret having dogs, but these are the times that try men's souls, and our girls have problems pooping when the snow is over their heads.

Anyway, by the time it was over, it had snowed without stopping (even for five minutes!) for FOUR STRAIGHT DAYS and we got over 30 inches...

That's all for now. Final word: WHAT THE HELL reason did anyone have to settle here in the first place? All I can come up with is that they arrived in, say, August (remember the post about the JULY blizzard?) and said "well, this is a nice place, I think we'll just dismantle our wagons here and stake a claim". Then by the time the snow flew, it was just "OH, CRAP" and it was too late.

Bye for now.

2 comments:

The Johnson Family said...

Not sure I could handle that much all at once, but it's so beautiful!! I wish we got snow here in Texas more. Maybe Bryan would stop beggin to go back to Colorado!

Shelly said...

WOW - I always wondered how that region ever kept people. Surely afer that first winter, they would have left

Google Search

Google